Are your child’s teeth overcrowded? Are you interested in alleviating tooth crowding without braces, or would you like to begin correcting the overcrowding before starting full orthodontic treatment? At the dental practice of Sam Amirani, DDS, we offer functional appliances to correct tooth crowding. The functional appliance is a removable oral appliance that is put on the teeth; you can remove it as needed, but remember that the more often you wear it, the faster your teeth will move! Overcrowded teeth can present several aesthetic problems and health issues, including:
- Crowded teeth are more likely to be affected by tooth decay
- Crowded teeth are not as aesthetically pleasing as straight, correctly spaced teeth
- Crowded teeth may be more difficult to treat because of their close proximity to other teeth
- Crowded teeth can cause problems with the bite and alignment of the teeth and jaws
- Crowded teeth are more likely to be affected by periodontal disease
In addition to alleviating overcrowding of the teeth, a functional appliance can help to reposition the jaw to its correct location. By correcting the spacing of the teeth and the alignment of the jaw, a functional appliance can also improve the facial profile and overall appearance. Our friendly dentist, Dr. Amirani, often recommends functional appliances for children whose jaws are narrow, underdeveloped, or misaligned. The ideal age for the use of a functional appliance is between the ages of 7 and 11 because the jaw is still growing and, typically, all of the teeth have come in. To learn more about the benefits of a functional appliance in Wichita, Kansas and to schedule your child’s visit to our dental office, we welcome you to call or visit us today.